Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH)
Having your practice recognized by the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) as a Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH)—while challenging—can provide countless rewards.
Some of these include:
- Enhanced access to care. This new approach allows patients to receive timely medical care. The main objective is for practices to preserve their patient panel by minimizing unnecessary visits to urgent care centers and emergency rooms. PCMH's proactive patient outreach allows clinicians to fill gaps in care for preventive services, immunizations and chronic care management with the ultimate goal of a healthier patient population.
- Formalized decision-making framework. PCMH transformation involves the use of evidence-based guidelines and standardization that support whole-person patient care, including behavioral health.
- Improved patient satisfaction. Patient-centered care requires that the entire care team’s focus be on the individual’s cultural needs, values and preferences when providing comprehensive medical services resulting in increased satisfaction.
- Better integration of clinical IT software applications into the practice workflow. Pursuing PCMH certification creates an opportunity for providers to reconsider their use of IT with the goal of maximizing its use in patient management.
- Increased practice productivity. Better IT integration and improved care team utilization can enable practices to conduct more comprehensive visits, in which the care team fulfills the patient’s medical and psychosocial needs resulting in the delivery of superior care.
- Financial benefits:
- Medicaid and Medicaid managed-care insurance plans offer higher rates to PCMH recognized practices.
- Many private payers reward clinicians for providing outstanding care in a patient-centered setting.
- The practice will operate more efficiently resulting in decreased costs and increased staff productivity.
RR Health Strategies (RRHS) offers PCMH consulting services that can help your practice achieve NCQA recognition—and the benefits it provides. Partnering with your administration and physician leaders, our consultants develop a detailed work plan and timeline that strategically align each implementation task with specific elements vital to obtaining NCQA recognition.
Our services comprise:
- Completion of new applications, recognition renewal and upgrades from 2011 to 2014 standards.
- Intensive 1:1 virtual/on-site facilitation/coaching support as part of the transformation plan.
- Documentation review and submission support.
- PCMH staff education/training sessions (individual and group) to meet specific requirements.
- PCMH tools database including examples, policies and procedures and templates used to prepare documentation for submission to NCQA.
- PCMH sustainability services to ensure consistent and long-term practice transformation.
- Practice management support.
Ready to explore the benefits of PCMH recognition for your practice and patients? Contact us.